In order to meet the commitments in accordance with the Accession Treaty of Romania to the European Union
– Chapter 22 “Environment”, the thermal power plants within CE Oltenia achieved the following measures:
– installation of wet flue gas desulphurisation plants for all power units in order to reduce SO2 concentration to 400 mg /Nmc;
– modernisation of electrostatic precipitators related to the power units in order to reduce the concentrations of particulate matters in the exhaust flue gas below 50 mg / Nmc;
– installation of low NOx burners;
– continuous monitoring of NOx emissions;- installation of noise attenuators.
The implementation of these measures resulted in:
• Reduction in SO2 emissions – the concentration of sulfur oxides in the flue gas was reduced from 6,500 mg / Nmc to less than 200 mg / Nmc
Technology: wet desulphurization using limestone as absorbent and the by-product resulting from the process of sulphur dioxide retention, i.e. gypsum that can be used as raw material in cement factories.
• Reduction in NOx concentration – the concentration of nitrogen oxides in the flue gas was reduced from 580 mg/Nmc to less than 500 mg/Nmc
Some primary measures have been implemented, consisting of:
– introduction of tertiary air at power units No. 4 and 5 within Turceni Thermal Power Plant Branch and No. 3, 4 and 6 within Rovinari Thermal Power Plant Branch;
– urea Injection at power unit No. 6 (experimentally) within Rovinari Thermal Power Plant Branch;
– installation of low NOx burners at power unit No. 4 within Rovinari Thermal Power Plant Branch (for hydrocarbons) and power units No. 1 and 2 within Craiova II Thermal Power Plant Branch.
Flue gas DeNOx facilities are to be implemented at power unit No. 6 – Rovinari Thermal Power Plant Branch and power units No. 5 and No. 7 – Turceni Thermal Power Plant, and the NOx concentration in flue gases will not exceed 200 mg/Nmc upon completion of the implementation process.
• Reduction in dust concentration – the dust concentration in the flue gas was reduced from 300 mg / Nmc to less than 20 mg / Nmc
This aspect was achieved by:
– Modernisation of the electrostatic precipitators of power units;
– Installation of desulphurisation plants.
• In order to follow up the air quality indicators (SO2, NOx, particulates, CO) a fixed system of online monitoring was installed for each modernised power unit .
The air quality in SW Oltenia region is monitored by 13 fixed stations which are part of the National Air Quality Monitoring Network.
• In order to reduce noise, the following measures have been taken:
– the thermal power plant branches have installed sound absorption panels and noise dampers at the start-up ejector exhaust;
– the mining units performed the enclosure of bunkers, installation of sound absorption panels in the area of loading points and replacement of damaged rolls.
• In order to comply with Directive 1999/31/EC – on the landfill of waste, the existing technology of liquid landfill (9:1) used for the evacuation of slag and ash was replaced by the dense slurry technology (1:1) for the following deposits:
Turceni TPP Branch – Deposit No. 2;
Rovinari TPP Branch – Girla Deposit;
Isalnita TPP Branch – Isalnita Deposit No. 1 and 2;
Craiova II TPP Branch – Valea Manastirii Deposit.
All these measures resulted in:
– Reduction in the amount of water consumed, the operating expenses, the amount of leakage water, ash dissipation.
– Increase in the stability of deposits, and the safety in operation.
• The measures applied by Complexul Energetic Oltenia in order to reduce the impact of mining activity are, as follows:
– Ecological reconstruction by rendering the lands free of encumbrances to their former condition as agricultural and forest lands;
– Monitoring the stability of overburden and environmental factors;
– Keeping the area safe from populated areas;
– Compliance with the dumping technology in order to avoid the land degradation.
As long as the lands are free of encumbrances, the following phases are performed: reconstruction, modeling, greening and rendering the lands to the economic circuit.
Until now, a surface of approx. 3,400 ha was rendered to the economic (agricultural and forest) circuit.
THE MOST SIGNIFICANT AFFORESTATION PROJECT IN ROMANIA: “100,000 TREES PLANTED IN 24 H”
On June 5th, 2015 (World Environment Day), the conference on launching the project “100,000 trees planted in 24 hours” was held in Targu Jiu. The project is proposed by the Association of Global Inclusion, together with the Young People of Gorj – Initiative Group. The uniqueness of this project comes from the fact that it was proposed by the civil society.
Complexul Energetic Oltenia made available the land to be afforested and the seedling will be provided by Gorj Forestry .